What are the side effects of teeth whitening?

The most common side effects of chemical whitening products are temporary tooth sensitivity and mild irritation of the soft tissues in the mouth, due to the bleach. For a few days following treatment, your teeth may be sensitive to temperature extremes or the gums may have mild irritation. If this does not go away, see your dentist.

Common side effects of teeth whitening is cold tooth sensitivity. If home whitening is overused (with both over the counter and custom made whitening trays), the teeth can dehydrate and have a chalky appearance. Teeth will also feel more rough when they get dehydrated and can cause food and plaque to stick more readily. It is best to see your dentist regularly to insure the safety of the whitening process.

Before whitening, you should have your teeth checked by a dentist. Teeth may become sensitive and gums sore during the whitening process. Teeth can also become translucent and appear gray if they are whitened too much. Existing fillings, crowns, and veneers will not whiten and will appear darker after the whitening process. Whitening should be prescribed by a dentist, and the whitening process should be monitored and followed by a dentist.

Continue Learning about Teeth Whitening

Teeth Whitening Tips and Secrets
Teeth Whitening Tips and Secrets
Do you want a dazzling, movie-star smile but you're not sure how to go about getting it? Are you curious to know how over-the-counter (OTC) teeth-whit...
How do I prevent the need to whiten my teeth?
The whiteness of your teeth can be affected by many different elements -- namely coffee, cigarettes,...
How is professional teeth whitening done?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Whitening (also called bleaching) is a procedure that brightens teeth that are discolored or sta...
Are There Natural Ways to Whiten My Teeth?