What are the risks of using teeth whitening strips?

Teeth whitening strips are safe for most people when used properly, but they may cause mild side effects. The most common complaint among people who use them is tooth sensitivity. About two-thirds of people who use teeth whitening strips and other teeth whitening products develop this problem, usually early in the process. However, tooth sensitivity caused by teeth whitening strips is almost always mild and usually doesn't last long. Gum irritation can occur, too, though it's usually mild and brief.

Pregnant women should not use teeth whitening strips or any teeth whitening product. Scientists have not studied whether the whitening agents in these products pose a threat to an unborn baby.

Continue Learning about Teeth Whitening

Teeth Whitening Tips and Secrets
Teeth Whitening Tips and Secrets
Do you want a dazzling, movie-star smile but you're not sure how to go about getting it? Are you curious to know how over-the-counter (OTC) teeth-whit...
What are whitening gels?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Many people are satisfied with the sparkle they get from brushing twice daily with a fluoride-contai...
Is laser treatment for whitening teeth safe?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
In-office whitening has been around since the Eighties. It started with the use of powerful lase...
Are There Natural Ways to Whiten My Teeth?