What is a home remedy for whitening my teeth?

To whiten your teeth at home, you have many options:
  • whitening toothpastes
  • avoiding foods that lead to tooth discoloration (red wine, coffee, tea, colas, berries)
  • bleaching solutions
Bleaching solutions come in several strengths and usually contain the bleaching ingredient peroxide. Unlike whitening toothpastes, peroxide actually changes the color of your tooth enamel, making it lighter and whiter. You can buy an over-the-counter bleaching kit or get one from your dentist. Usually, you pour the solution into a special mouthpiece that you wear a couple times a day or overnight. The advantage of getting the kit from your dentist is that the mouthpiece will be customized to fit your mouth; also, the bleaching solution is usually stronger than the over-the-counter options.

If you experience side effects from the solution (irritation of your mouth or gums), contact your dentist.

Continue Learning about Teeth Whitening

Are There Natural Ways to Whiten My Teeth?