What treatments are available to whiten teeth?

You have several different options for whitening your teeth:

• Chairside or in-office bleaching. Performed by a dentist in the office, chairside bleaching uses a peroxide gel to whiten your teeth. The process usually takes up to an hour.
  • Take-home whitening kit. Your dentist custom-makes bleaching trays to fit your mouth and gives you a peroxide gel to use at home. You wear the gel-filled trays for an hour or so or overnight for up to two weeks.
  • Over-the-counter whitening kits. OTC kits use a less powerful bleaching agent in the form of a gel, and trays, strips, or paint-on applicator. You may not be as pleased with results because the trays and strips may not fit your teeth well, which can cause uneven whitening; the strips only cover your front teeth, which may cause uneven tooth color.

Continue Learning about Teeth Whitening

Teeth Whitening Tips and Secrets
Teeth Whitening Tips and Secrets
Do you want a dazzling, movie-star smile but you're not sure how to go about getting it? Are you curious to know how over-the-counter teeth whitening ...
Should I get professional tooth whitening or over-the-counter treatments?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Everyone wants a whiter smile. Watch as Dr. Maria Lopez Howell explains why you should always consul...
Why do OTC tooth whiteners hurt my gums?
Over-the-counter (OTC) tooth whiteners may hurt your gums because they contain hydrogen peroxide...
Are There Natural Ways to Whiten My Teeth?