How does the tray method for tooth whitening work?

The tray method for tooth whitening works by pouring a peroxide bleaching solution into a tray that looks like a mouth guard. You then wear the tray over your teeth for four to eight hours, and possibly overnight. Continue applying the bleaching solution and wearing the tray until your teeth are as white as you want. Depending on the amount of discoloration, it may take about four weeks to sufficiently whiten your teeth. 

In the tray method, your dentist takes impressions of your mouth, from which carefully molded trays are formed. These trays are thin and light to wear. The patient adds a small amount of liquid to the tray and proceeds to wear them from two to six hours per day until the desired whitening is achieved. This process usually takes two weeks. The trays are kept and can be used again for touch-ups. The cost of this procedure is approximately $400.00.

Continue Learning about Teeth Whitening

What are the risks of overusing at-home teeth whitening products?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Over-bleaching is typically the result of long-term exposure to bleaching agents. Over-bleaching...
What are intrinsic tooth stains?
William M. Litaker Jr., DDSWilliam M. Litaker Jr., DDS
Intrinsic tooth stains are stains that are inside the tooth. Some antibiotics such as tetracycline c...
Is Teeth Whitening Safe?
Is Teeth Whitening Safe?
Are There Natural Ways to Whiten My Teeth?