What follow-up is needed for tooth whitening?

Tooth whitening should be performed under the care of a licensed dentist.

Although whitening is a relatively safe procedure, it is important that the teeth and gums remain healthy and that any areas of sensitivity are evaluated and treated appropriately. In addition, some patients may continue the bleaching process longer that is necessary or safe, and this may create problems including sensitivity and unnatural appearance of the teeth.

As with all patients, regular professional examinations should be performed to check for defective restorations, gum health and health of oral mucosa. Once the original sequence of whitening treatments is completed, usually only semi-annual touch-ups are indicated following routing teeth cleaning. It is important to remember that teeth can be white, but also diseased and unhealthy. Regular dental care is still essential for a health mouth.

Tooth whitening is not a daily at home procedure. 

Continue Learning about Teeth Whitening

Teeth Whitening Tips and Secrets
Teeth Whitening Tips and Secrets
Do you want a dazzling, movie-star smile but you're not sure how to go about getting it? Are you curious to know how over-the-counter (OTC) teeth-whit...
What is a home remedy for whitening my teeth?
Dr. Oz suggests a teeth whitening home remedy using baking soda and lemon. Follow these direction...
How effective is professional teeth whitening?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Professional whitening uses the most potent amount of hydrogen peroxide activated even more by h...
Are There Natural Ways to Whiten My Teeth?