A Answers (7)
If you are looking for all-natural ways to whiten your teeth, try the following steps:
- Avoid foods, like tomato sauce, and certain drinks (red wine, tea, coffee, and dark-colored sodas) that can stain your teeth.
- Quit tobacco. Smoking and chewing stain teeth.
- Practice better oral hygiene. By brushing your teeth regularly, you can reduce the amount of yellow build-up on your teeth.
- Chew sugarless gum. It increases the amount of saliva in your mouth. This extra saliva helps to wash away the acid produced by the bacteria in your mouth; acid destroys tooth enamel and makes your teeth look darker.
Try adding these natural whiteners to your diet for brighter, healthier teeth.
Natural Bleaching Agent: Strawberries
Strawberries are powerful teeth whiteners that contain both an astringent and vitamin C. The astringent in strawberries effectively aids in the removal of surface stains while vitamin C whitens teeth by clearing away plaque.
Natural Toothbrush: Apples
A crunchy apple acts like a toothbrush as you chew it. The process of chewing an apple removes excess food and bacteria from your mouth while scrubbing away surface stains. Apples also contain malic acid, a chemical used in teeth whitening products, which helps dissolve stains.
Natural Mouthwash: Raisins
Raisins help to keep your teeth white by inducing saliva production. An increased level of saliva naturally helps to rinse away plaque.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
The less surface stain teeth you have the whiter your teeth will look.
Tobacco, coffee, and ea can all contribute to stain build-up. Watch the foods you eat; if it stains the rug, it may stain your teeth.
Be sure to see you dentist regularly for cleanings to get rid of the dingies and be sure to practice good oral hygiene. Look for brushes and toothpaste that carry the ADA seal on them. They will do what they say and say what they will do.
When in doubt, speak with your dentist.
Sugar free gums and candy made from the natural sweetener, Xylitol, has been shown to decrease the bacteria forming plaque. Less plaque will mean less stain, and whiter teeth. Chewing sugarless gum may help by stimulating the flow of saliva and keeping stain from settling in-between your teeth. Flossing will keep plaque from growing on the tooth and prevents staining. If you can avoid coffee, tea, red wine, and tobacco, you will have less stain to remove.
Natural ways to whiten your teeth:
- Learn how to brush properly.
- Avoid drinking beverages that are colored; or rinse your mouth well after drinking colored beverages.
- Eat more vegetables with fiber.
- Avoid starchy snacks such as chips that can adhere to teeth surfaces.
- Eat more fruits like apples, pears, and strawberries between meals.
- Use straw while drinking colored beverages.
- Chew gum that is sweetened by xylitol a few times a day.
You can whiten your teeth using two ingredients straight out of your kitchen, says veganist and best-selling author Kathy Freston. Learn what they are and how to combine them to brighten your smile by watching the video.
Try these delicious and natural food suggestions from the AACD to help achieve a healthier, whiter smile:
Pineapples can help whiten teeth. Research shows that the enzyme bromelain in pineapples acts as a natural stain remover. Bromelain also helps break up plaque, the sticky film of bacteria that accumulates on your teeth. The bacteria in plaque produce acids that can erode the enamel of your teeth and lead to dental caries.
For delicious dental advice, visit: http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/blog/nutrition/2012/07/10_foods_that_naturally_whiten.html
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.