How can I get whiter teeth?

Sometimes brushing twice daily isn't enough to achieve a whiter smile. Watch as Dr. Maria Lopez Howell explains how in-office tooth whitening can be a great way to give your teeth an extra sparkle.

Here's a rundown on your options:

• In-office whitening: Fastest and strongest effects, up to ten shades lighter, but costs $500 to $1,200.
  • Brush-ons: Best over-the-counter method. You can see results four shades lighter. These brighten the back teeth better than the strips do.
  • Strips: You can get four to six shades lighter, but only on the front six teeth.
  • Tray and gels (in-office or OTC): It's an older technology and has potential for gum irritation, so it's best to do with a doc. At home, the temptation is to abuse it, which can lead to tooth sensitivity.
  • Whitening toothpastes: An everyday experience, these toothpastes remove stains from teeth by polishing or chemical removal.
  • The ideal combo: If you can afford it, use an in-office whitening, then follow up with brush-ons and toothpastes at home.
Studies have shown that repetitive whitening (using safe, low concentrations of the active ingredients) gives longer-lasting results. Just be sure not to repeat more than once every two weeks, or you'll thin the enamel. Home whitening strips don't appear to harm enamel.
YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teeth Whitening

Is it safe to mix peroxide and toothpaste as a teeth whitener?
Toothpastes and other dental products that contain peroxide are safe to use and can help whiten teet...
Do OTC tooth whiteners have any side effects?
OTC, or over-the-counter, non-prescription tooth whiteners are generally safe and cause few side...
Are There Natural Ways to Whiten My Teeth?
Is Teeth Whitening Safe?
Is Teeth Whitening Safe?