What should I avoid while using OTC tooth whiteners?

Before, during, and after using OTC tooth whiteners, you should not overuse tobacco, use certain antibiotics, eat certain foods such as blueberries, or drink coffee, tea, or red wine, as all of these items can cause staining. You should not receive tooth whitening if you have untreated periodontal problems, infections, cracked or sensitive teeth, or tooth decay. Pregnant women should not use tooth whiteners as it is not known how this product may affect an unborn baby. Before using any kind of tooth whitening treatment, speak to your dentist about possible complications that might result from using this treatment.
To get the best results from OTC, or over-the-counter, tooth whiteners, you should avoid smoking and consuming large amounts of food and beverages that stain your teeth. Tooth whiteners, which are sold in the form of gels or strips that attach to the teeth, contains a weak solution of bleach. Tooth whiteners change the color of teeth to a lighter shade. However, continuing to smoke or consume red wine, coffee, tea, and anything else that stains teeth will offset any improvements you experience from tooth whiteners.

Continue Learning about Teeth Whitening

Teeth Whitening Tips and Secrets
Teeth Whitening Tips and Secrets
Do you want a dazzling, movie-star smile but you're not sure how to go about getting it? Are you curious to know how over-the-counter (OTC) teeth-whit...
What are the risks of overusing at-home teeth whitening products?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Don't go overboard: Instead of weeks, some people make the mistake of whitening their teeth for mont...
Should I talk to my dentist about tooth whitening before I do it?
William M. Litaker Jr., DDSWilliam M. Litaker Jr., DDS
A thorough dental exam should be done before tooth whitening. Your dentist can evaluate the shade of...
Are There Natural Ways to Whiten My Teeth?