How does age affect the whiteness of my teeth?

Age can make your teeth appear yellower. The outside covering of your teeth is called enamel, and it gets thinner over time. The dentin beneath the enamel tends to get more yellow as you grow older, and as your enamel thins, the yellow dentin shows through. Injuries, such as chipped teeth, can also discolor your teeth, as can smoking. Your dentist can suggest ways to whiten teeth that have become discolored over time. 
Age may cause certain stains to show more prominently on your teeth. The inner parts, or the dentin, of teeth becomes yellower as you age. You also begin to lose the outer enamel. Because of this, the yellowed dentin shows through the outer enamel to give the appearance of yellow teeth.

Continue Learning about Teeth Whitening

What is the process for tooth whitening at the dentist office?
The whitening procedure at the dentist office is different than that for over-the-counter products. ...
How does tooth whitening work?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Simple staining could be helped with whitening tooth pastes and strips. These help to reduce the sta...
Are There Natural Ways to Whiten My Teeth?
Is Teeth Whitening Safe?
Is Teeth Whitening Safe?