How does age affect the whiteness of my teeth?

Age may cause certain stains to show more prominently on your teeth. The inner parts, or the dentin, of teeth becomes yellower as you age. You also begin to lose the outer enamel. Because of this, the yellowed dentin shows through the outer enamel to give the appearance of yellow teeth.
Age can make your teeth appear yellower. The outside covering of your teeth is called enamel, and it gets thinner over time. The dentin beneath the enamel tends to get more yellow as you grow older, and as your enamel thins, the yellow dentin shows through. Injuries, such as chipped teeth, can also discolor your teeth, as can smoking. Your dentist can suggest ways to whiten teeth that have become discolored over time. 

Continue Learning about Teeth Whitening

Teeth Whitening Tips and Secrets
Teeth Whitening Tips and Secrets
Do you want a dazzling, movie-star smile but you're not sure how to go about getting it? Are you curious to know how over-the-counter teeth whitening ...
How do I find a good dentist for professional teeth whitening?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
If you decide to have your smile professionally whitened, make sure you choose a reputable aesth...
Is tooth whitening safe for children?
We don't really know, and wouldn't recommend it. Teeth whitening has generally been considered a saf...
Are There Natural Ways to Whiten My Teeth?