What happens during a dental exam for bruxism?

Dentists often begin a dental exam for bruxism by looking for visible signs of the disorder, including excessive wear to the teeth and damage to dental appliances. Some dentists may use X-rays to identify damage that cannot be seen with the naked eye, such as damage to the jaw joint. You may need more than one dental exam to diagnose bruxism, since your dentist may prefer to observe how the damage progresses over a short period of time before making a diagnosis. Once a diagnosis has been made, your dentist may ask you about your medical history, your sleep and dietary habits, and your use of prescription drugs.
During a dental exam, your dentist will check for bruxism by looking for unusual wear spots on your teeth and assessing related symptoms. Regular dental checkups are important to find damage in the early stages. Your dentist will be able to help you manage your teeth grinding as well as repair and help prevent further damage to your teeth.

Continue Learning about Teeth Grinding (Bruxism)

How should I prepare for an appointment about teeth grinding (bruxism)?
You likely will be visiting with your dentist for a diagnosis. To prepare for your appointment, writ...
When is teeth grinding (bruxism) serious?
Teeth grinding is not dangerous, but leaving it untreated can have serious consequences, such as per...
Should I talk to my doctor about my teeth grinding (bruxism) symptoms?
Yes, if you suspect you have symptoms of teeth grinding, see a dentist to confirm the diagnosis. Sch...
Is my child at risk for periodontal disease if he grinds his teeth?
Teeth grinding, or bruxism, can cause chips and cracks in teeth. Mothers are in a good position to m...