What causes teeth grinding (bruxism)?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Among healthcare professionals, there is no consensus on the causes of teeth grinding. There are several suspected physical and psychological reasons. These include:

• stress
  • aggressive or competitive personality traits
  • suppressed strong emotions, like anger or frustration>
  • improperly aligned upper and lower teeth
  • sleep cycle changes
  • side effects related to some psychiatric medications, including some antidepressants
  • complications to some diseases like Parkinson's or Huntington's disease

For children in particular, teeth grinding may be a response to pain from an earache or teething, or a response to growth or development of the jaw and teeth.

The causes of bruxism are not known but many believe that stress, sleep disorders and an abnormal bite all play a role.

If you suspect you are grinding your teeth, schedule an appointment with your dentist. Your dentist can help you manage bruxism and its related symptoms, as well as repair and help prevent further damage to your teeth.
The reasons why some people grind their teeth -- often at night -- are not completely understood. Watch the animation to learn more about causes of tooth grinding.
No one is sure why some people grind their teeth, a behavior also known as bruxism. However, most doctors believe that stress often triggers the problem, particularly if you don't know how to relieve it yourself (which could be a simple as talking about your feelings with a friend). Teeth grinding can be harmless, though it may also lead to serious tooth damage, jaw pain, and other problems. If you know that you grind your teeth, talk to your doctor about treatment options.
Studies have found that bruxism is found more frequently in individuals who suffer from Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (OSA). Grinding happens as the apneic event is ending. This is a rather new theory of why people grind their teeth.

It's important that you identify whether you grind your teeth, with the help of your dentist. That simple fact may lead to a diagnosis of OSA.

Continue Learning about Teeth Grinding (Bruxism)

How can bruxism (tooth grinding) affect me?
Teeth grinding can affect your quality of life by causing dental damage and impairing sleep. If seve...
Do I need to be concerned if I grind my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you grind your teeth regularly, talk to your dentist. Not only does teeth grinding cause facial p...
Can teeth grinding lead to a dental emergency?
Teeth grinding, or bruxism, can sometimes lead to serious consequences for your mouth. For instance,...
Is my child at risk for periodontal disease if he grinds his teeth?
Teeth grinding, or bruxism, can cause chips and cracks in teeth. Mothers are in a good position to m...