How can I stop grinding my teeth?

Teeth grinding usually happens at night. Watch as Dr. Maria Lopez Howell explains why custom mouth guards may be a solution to help control grinding.

The cause of bruxism are not known but many believe that stress, sleep disorders and an abnormal bite all play a role.

Bruxism treatment depends on each individual’s situation. Your dentist may recommend stress reduction, or wearing a protective night guard over your teeth while you sleep. You can help prevent teeth grinding by paying attention to your symptoms, making frequent dental visits and talking with your dentist.
Teeth grinding, or bruxism, is often related to stress and anxiety. Finding ways to reduce stress and to relax can help alleviate teeth grinding and create other long-lasting health benefits. Some techniques to help stop teeth grinding include biofeedback, meditation, yoga, deep breathing, exercise, and professional mental health counseling or psychotherapy. Cutting down on stimulants such as tobacco and caffeine may also help.

If your teeth grinding is caused by  dental problems, your dentist can help you with appropriate treatment, including veneers. Your dentist can also make a custom-fitted mouth guard for you to wear at night to prevent you from grinding or clenching your teeth while you're asleep.

Continue Learning about Teeth Grinding (Bruxism)

What is sleep bruxism?
Sleep bruxism is the term used to describe teeth grinding and clenching that happens when a person s...
What is TMJ and how does it relate to teeth grinding (bruxism)?
TMJ is the abbreviation for temporomandibular joint and often is shorthand for a collection of disor...
How should I prepare for an appointment about teeth grinding (bruxism)?
You likely will be visiting with your dentist for a diagnosis. To prepare for your appointment, writ...
How do I manage teeth grinding (bruxism) on a daily basis?
You can manage teeth grinding by practicing helpful techniques for self-care daily. These include le...