Do medications treat bruxism?

Typically, other methods of treating bruxism are tried before medication. Botox may help when treatments such as splints and mouth guards have failed. Sometimes, muscle relaxants are prescribed for use before bed, or anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) drugs are given.
Teeth grinding, or bruxism, often occurs during sleep and can be caused by stress or anxiety. In some cases, your dentist or physician may recommend taking a muscle relaxant before bedtime. 

There are many non-medication treatments that can be tried first. If stress is the cause you need to find a way to relax. Meditation, counseling and exercise can all help reduce stress and anxiety. Your dentist can also fit you with a mouthguard to protect teeth from grinding.
There are some medications that have been shown to reduce sleep bruxism. Several have significant side effects so they are not routinely recommended.

Continue Learning about Teeth Grinding (Bruxism)

What is sleep bruxism?
Sleep bruxism is the term used to describe teeth grinding and clenching that happens when a person s...
What is TMJ and how does it relate to teeth grinding (bruxism)?
TMJ is the abbreviation for temporomandibular joint and often is shorthand for a collection of disor...
Do I need to be concerned if I grind my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you grind your teeth regularly, talk to your dentist. Not only does teeth grinding cause facial p...
Which muscles are involved in teeth grinding?
Tooth grinding results from unconscious movement of the primary chewing muscles. Watch the animation...