Can surgery treat bruxism?

Surgery is a treatment for more severe bruxism, and many people with bruxism will not need surgery. Crowns, inlays, and prostheses are sometimes used to correct the way the teeth fit together and to reshape worn teeth. Sometimes, further restorative surgery may be needed after more grinding and clenching occurs over time, destroying the overlays or crowns.
Surgery is never recommended for the treatment of bruxism. Sleep bruxism is a sleep-related movement disorder unrelated to how teeth fit together or the shape and alignment of our jaws.
If you grind your teeth enough it's possible that you will need dental surgery. However, surgery itself will not solve your tooth grinding problem. Teeth grinding can be caused by many things: stress, anxiety, sleep disorders, an abnormal bite, and teeth that are missing or crooked. To manage the grinding, your dentist can fit you with a mouth guard to protect your teeth during sleep. In some cases, your dentist or physician may recommend taking a muscle relaxant before bedtime. If stress is the cause you need to find a way to relax. Meditation, counseling and exercise can all help reduce stress and anxiety.

Continue Learning about Teeth Grinding (Bruxism)

How should I prepare for an appointment about teeth grinding (bruxism)?
You likely will be visiting with your dentist for a diagnosis. To prepare for your appointment, writ...
Why is teeth grinding harmful?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Not only does teeth grinding cause discomfort in the form of headaches, earaches, sore jaws and toot...
Should I talk to my doctor about my teeth grinding (bruxism) symptoms?
Yes, if you suspect you have symptoms of teeth grinding, see a dentist to confirm the diagnosis. Sch...
Is my child at risk for periodontal disease if he grinds his teeth?
Teeth grinding, or bruxism, can cause chips and cracks in teeth. Mothers are in a good position to m...