Can regular dental examinations help bruxism?

Regular dental examinations are an important component in diagnosing and treating bruxism. You may clench your jaw or grind your teeth and be unaware of this behavior. During a regular dental examination, your dentist can look for unusual wear and tear on your teeth, fractures, and tooth sensitivity. This wear and tear, as well as pain in the jaw joint, is an indicator of bruxism.

Regular dental examinations, which are an important part of maintaining good oral health, can absolutely help with bruxism. Bruxism, or teeth grinding, can have many causes. If you’re concerned about teeth grinding, ask your dentist about the potential causes and, if necessary, the possible solutions.

Signs of bruxism may be found during a dental examination, and treatment options can be discussed. Signs include worn teeth, wear marks (facets), fractured teeth, TMJ discomfort and muscle pain or tightness. Of course, another sign may just be the complaints of your sleeping partner.

Treatment options may involve bite adjustment, complete or limited, to eliminate irregularities and/or to allow the teeth to "mesh" together better in good jaw position. In addition, various types of bite guards may be suggested to help with the problem.

Continue Learning about Teeth Grinding (Bruxism)

What is TMJ and how does it relate to teeth grinding (bruxism)?
TMJ is the abbreviation for temporomandibular joint and often is shorthand for a collection of disor...
How do I manage teeth grinding (bruxism) on a daily basis?
You can manage teeth grinding by practicing helpful techniques for self-care daily. These include le...
How can bruxism (tooth grinding) affect me?
Teeth grinding can affect your quality of life by causing dental damage and impairing sleep. If seve...
Should I talk to my doctor about my teeth grinding (bruxism) symptoms?
Yes, if you suspect you have symptoms of teeth grinding, see a dentist to confirm the diagnosis. Sch...