Can anger management help prevent bruxism?

Bruxism, or teeth grinding, can be difficult to cure. The first thing you need to do is pinpoint the cause of the teeth grinding, for instance, is it caused by stress or anxiety or is there an underlying dental or medical condition.

Your dentist can fit you with a mouth guard to protect your teeth during sleep. In some cases, your dentist or physician may recommend taking a muscle relaxant before bedtime. If stress is the cause you need to find a way to relax. Meditation, counseling and exercise can all help reduce stress and anxiety.
Robert Rozsay
Addiction Medicine
Bruxism is usually a response to anxiety and stress. Although anger managment can help to reduce stress and anxiety it is not usually a recommended treatment.
Fredrick Wade
Addiction Medicine

Bruxism, the act of grinding your teeth to my knowledge cannot be treated nor prevented with Anger Management. That said Bruxism is often associated with anxiety and stress as are some anger management issues. The best person to speak with is your dentist who can diagnose whether you are in fact grinding your teeth. People are often unaware of this syndrome as it most often happens when sleeping. Typically it is not harmful but there are those who do it enough to affect their teeth and or cause problems such as headaches and tension in the jaw area. When one is treating Anger Management learning stress management techniques is essential as it can be for those who suffer with Bruxism. I suppose there could be the rare instance when one might be helped with other forms of treatment such as mouth guards in conjunction with stress management skills. Just to be clear, I have never heard of Anger Management being used to treat or prevent Bruxism. My suggestion is that you speak with your dentist.     

Anger management is a process for learning how to manage anger in a constructive manner. While anger is a normal, healthy emotion, ineffective management of anger leads to stress and destructive behavior. In addition to damaging professional and personal relationships, this can also lead to physical problems, such as bruxism. For some people, anger management is a useful therapy for preventing bruxism. However, since bruxism can be triggered by many factors, anger management can help prevent some, but not all, cases of bruxism.

Continue Learning about Teeth Grinding (Bruxism)

When is teeth grinding (bruxism) serious?
Teresa L. Destefano, DMDTeresa L. Destefano, DMD
Grinding, or bruxism, is a very dangerous habit. Over time, enamel will wear down, and the teeth wil...
How can bruxism (tooth grinding) affect me?
William M. Litaker Jr., DDSWilliam M. Litaker Jr., DDS
Bruxism is gritting and grinding of the teeth. Most people brux at night and are unaware of this hab...
How Can I Stop Grinding My Teeth?
How Can I Stop Grinding My Teeth?
Relief for Grinding Teeth
Relief for Grinding Teeth