What is pericoronitis?

Pericoronitis occurs when the gums around the molars become swollen and infected. Periocoronitis most often occurs when a wisdom tooth partially erupts through the gum, creating an opening that allows bacteria to enter into the gums and cause an infection. 

Continue Learning about Teeth Basics

What is dentin?
The dentin is the hard tissue that makes up the core of each tooth. It's the part of a tooth tha...
What can I do for my baby's oral health if I am a new mother?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
You can do a lot! Below are some things you need to know about your baby's oral health. The same ...
What are molar teeth for?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
The first and second molars are the largest teeth in the mouth. They're mostly used for mashing ...
What foods help whiten teeth?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
To deliciously achieve a healthier, whiter smile, try these foods suggestions from the AACD: Pine...