What is pericoronitis?

Pericoronitis occurs when the gums around the molars become swollen and infected. Periocoronitis most often occurs when a wisdom tooth partially erupts through the gum, creating an opening that allows bacteria to enter into the gums and cause an infection. 

Continue Learning about Teeth Basics

What can I do for my baby's oral health if I am a new mother?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Begin cleaning your baby’s mouth during the first few days after birth by wiping the gums with a cle...
What are the parts of a tooth?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
The structure of a tooth is as follows: The crown is the hard part of the tooth that you can see...
How does saliva protect the tooth enamel?
Philip M. Uffer, DDSPhilip M. Uffer, DDS
In addition to promoting remineralization, saliva acts a a lubricant to wash away debris. It aids in...
What factors influence the color of teeth?
Peggy RosenPeggy Rosen
Factors that influence the color of teeth are:HereditaryAgeFood and beverages intake; consuming colo...