What is a periodontist?

For advanced gum disease, your dentist may refer you to a periodontist. Watch as Dr. Maria Lopez Howell explains what a periodontist does and what types of treatments to expect.

Jonathan B. Levine, DMD
Prosthodontics
If you have areas in your mouth that are breaking down the supporting structure of the teeth, your dentist will send you to a periodontist. This specialist examines, diagnoses and treats the manifestations of gum problems. He’ll eliminate the pockets, bone or tissue grafting, place implants, and any of the whole host of requirements necessary to heal any problems with the supporting structure of the teeth.
Smile!: The Ultimate Guide to Achieving Smile Beauty

Renowned dentist and creator of the GoSMILE product line Dr. Levine offers this complete guide to getting a whiter, brighter smile. 15 photos & illustrations.
Periodontists are experts in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of periodontal or gum disease, as well as in the placement of dental implants. Periodontists receive extensive training, including three additional years of education beyond dental school. Periodontists are familiar with the latest diagnostic techniques and treatments for periodontal disease, and they are trained in cosmetic periodontal procedures.

Periodontal disease is commonly known as gum disease. A periodontist is a dentist that specializes in the supporting structures around the teeth and treats various forms of gum disease. A periodontist has additional training after completing dental school.

Continue Learning about Teeth Basics

What can my dentist determine about my smile by looking at me head-on?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
By looking at you head-on, your dentist will evaluate your interpupillary line to your occlusal ...
What are the parts of a tooth?
A tooth is divided into three parts. The root, which is the foundation of the tooth. It’s hidden...
Where can people with special needs get dental care?
Romesh NalliahRomesh Nalliah
Most individuals with special needs can receive dental care from their local general dentist. It is ...
What is dental pulp?
Dental pulp is situated at the heart of the tooth and is first and foremost the blood supplier t...