How is dentistry used in forensic medicine?

Forensic medicine is a morbid subject but necessary to say the least. Ones teeth, dental records, and bite are used for identification purposes. Missing children and airline crash victims come to mind immediately where dentistry can play a big part with identification.
Forensic medicine is a science that deals with the relation and application of medical facts to legal problems. Dentists who work in forensics now can establish a positive identification of human remains -- sometimes in a matter of minutes, even without dental records.
Forensic dentistry is an important science for identification in crime investigation and disasters including natural disasters, terrorism and plane crashes.

Bite mark identification is used to connect criminal to victim. Impressions and stone casts are made of the bite mark of the victim and the mouth of the person on trial to determine if they are a match.

In disaster identification radiographs (X-rays) are taken of the victims, records are requested from health care providers of the people believed to be involved in the disaster and comparisons are made to obtain positive id.

Continue Learning about Teeth Basics

What is a severe tooth fracture?
If a tooth sustains a severe break, or fracture, this could mean that you might lose the tooth. ...
How can my eating habits cause tooth decay?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Eating habits and food choices can lead to tooth decay. A steady diet of sugary foods and drinks...
What is a periodontist?
For advanced gum disease, your dentist may refer you to a periodontist. Watch as Dr. Maria Lopez...
Can I add years to my life by taking care of my teeth?
Good oral habits, including brushing your teeth at least twice a day and flossing at least once a da...