How does force damage teeth?

Dustin S. Burleson, DDS
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Force placed on teeth can be described in two categories, functional forces and parafunctional forces. Functional forces, such as swallowing and chewing, rarely cause tooth damage.  

Parafunctional forces are those forces outside or beyond the normal forces placed on teeth. Examples of parafunctional forces include clenching or grinding and can lead to tooth damage. Loss of enamel (the protective outer coating of the teeth) is seen with parafunctional forces. If left untreated, parafunctional forces can lead to loss of dentin (the softer inner layer of teeth).

If you believe excessive force or parafunctional habits (clenching, grinding) are causing tooth damage, see your dentist for a comprehensive examination. He or she will review the signs, symptoms and possible treatment for damaged teeth as a result of excess force. In the meantime, avoid acidic foods and drinks (citrus juices, soda) as these can cause increased tooth damage in the presence of heavy forces.
Force can damage teeth by breaking dental fillings or damaging the enamel. Bruxism, or grinding your teeth, is an example of force which often leads to tooth damage. Bad chewing habits, such as chewing on ice or hard candy, or a blow to your mouth, also are forces that can damage your teeth. They can cause cracks in teeth, especially in teeth with large fillings.

Continue Learning about Teeth Basics

What is a minor tooth fracture?
Minor tooth fractures can be easily treated by a dentist. Sometimes, minor fractures do not need to ...
What is pericoronitis?
Pericoronitis occurs when the gums around the molars become swollen and infected. Periocoronitis...
What should I tell a cosmetic dentist about my desire to change my smile?
Yasaman S. Roland, DDSYasaman S. Roland, DDS
You should describe details of what you are looking for and what things you are not happy with about...
How can I strengthen my teeth?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
One of the most important things you can do for your teeth is strengthen them. Since teeth are vul...