What questions might my teen ask about a public tragedy?

Michele Borba
Kids 13 and over may try to minimize the event or argue more with you then want to discuss what happened. Most teens can be involved in discussions about the news and stimulating conversations can result. Teachers may be discussing this in classrooms so you can spin off: “What have you heard?” Or use a newspaper clipping to begin the conversation. “The headline says: ‘Obama: We can be better.’ What do you think he meant? How can we be better?”

Continue Learning about Teens Emotional Health

5 Reasons Your Teen Might Be Depressed
5 Reasons Your Teen Might Be Depressed
Nearly three million American teens, ages 12 to 17, experience depression each year, according to a new report from the Substance Abuse and Mental Hea...
What are some rules for my child to follow when using Facebook?
Shawn EdgingtonShawn Edgington
Only a parent knows their child well enough to decide if their teen is ready and mature enough t...
What can I do to boost empathy in my child?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Ask: How would you feel? Ask kids to ponder how another person feels using situations in books, TV, ...
What Harm Can Sexualization of Young Girls Cause?