What harm can sexualization of young girls cause?

According to study by the American Psychological Association, early sexual emphasis or sexualization of girls can undermine a person’s confidence in and comfort with her own body, leading to emotional and self-image problems, such as shame and anxiety. Early sexualization can also lead to issues with mental and physical health. Research links sexualization with three of the most common mental health problems diagnosed in girls and women—eating disorders, low self-esteem, and depression or depressed mood. Lastly, early sexualization can lead to sexual development issues. Research suggests that the sexualization of girls has negative consequences on girls’ ability to develop a healthy sexual self-image.
The best paper on this topic is offered by the American Psychological Association (http://www.apa.org/pi/women/programs/girls/report.aspx).  The results of this report suggest that the sexualization of young girls can cause harm in myriad ways including a shift in cognitions and schemas about self and world, health and mental health consequences including a greater propensity for low self esteem, depressive symptomatology, and eating disorders, impeding the development of a healthy sexuality, and even impacting longer term decision making- such as educational and career choices. 

The sexualization of young girls in the media has increased the incidence of eating disorders, depression, anxiety, self-injury and other negative consequences. Watch as psychologist Jennifer Hartstein, PsyD, discusses how damaging this trend is. 

Continue Learning about Teens Emotional Health

When Too Many Friends May Backfire
When Too Many Friends May Backfire
The 2010 movie The Social Network traces Harvard student Mark Zuckerberg’s controversial (just ask the Winklevoss twins) launching of Facebook and rev...
Why might it be difficult for me to manage my child's online activities?
Shawn EdgingtonShawn Edgington
The biggest reason that parents have difficulty managing, monitoring, and controlling their child's ...
What are some rules for my child to follow when using Facebook?
Shawn EdgingtonShawn Edgington
Only a parent knows their child well enough to decide if their teen is ready and mature enough t...
Why Do Teens Cut Themselves?
Why Do Teens Cut Themselves?