Why do we have wisdom teeth?

Our wisdom teeth were nature's version of a back-up system - giving us one last set of teeth that would come out by the age we would've destroyed our molars when we lived in the wild. Why are they called wisdom teeth? Hopefully, we would get them at the age when we were wise enough to take care of them properly, usually by our mid-teens. Unlike our relatives ten thousand years ago, our molars haven't fallen out yet, we hope. Because of this, crowding often occurs when wisdom teeth erupt, causing them to come in sideways. Cock-eyed teeth can't be cleaned and will destroy adjacent teeth - which is why they're often removed.

YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Understanding Anatomy

What are my joints made up of?
Joshua J. StoneJoshua J. Stone
There are joints in the body, and they fall into three categories, fibrous, cartilaginous, and synov...
As a teen, what is gynecomastia?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Gynecomastia may be seen in teenage boys that present to my practice with their parents. The main co...
As a teen, what do my kidneys do for my body?
Your kidneys keep your body’s salt levels in balance. They also play a role in regulating blood ...
As a Teen, Is It Normal to Have Vaginal Discharge?