What makes me feel hungry?

Marjorie Nolan Cohn

Ghrelin is your primary hunger-stimulating hormone. It is secreted from the stomach, and circulates to your brain where it triggers the need to eat. When your stomach is empty, blood sugar is low, and when you haven't eaten in several hours ghrelin rises.

When your stomach is empty, its inner lining releases this feisty little chemical called ghrelin. When your stomach is growling, it’s this gremlin of a hormone that’s sending desperate messages that you need more food. Ghrelin makes you want to eat. When you diet through deprivation (not eating enough food), the increased ghrelin secretion sends even more signals to eat, overriding your willpower and causing chemical reactions that give you little choice but to go crazy in the pantry. Your stomach secretes ghrelin in pulses every half hour, sending subtle chemical impulses to your brain--almost like subliminal biological messages: Cheese fries! Milkshake! Triple burgers! When you’re really hungry, those messages come fast--every twenty minutes or so--and they’re also amplified. So you get more signals and stronger signals that your body wants food. After long periods, your body often can’t ignore those messages. The chemical cattle prod stops when you eat; when your stomach fills, your ghrelin levels go down, thus reducing your
appetite.
YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Understanding Anatomy

Why do I get swollen glands when I have a cold?
Swollen glands are actually lymph nodes, which are found in the neck, armpits, groin and other place...
How should I prepare my teen for her first period?
Ellen Rome, MDEllen Rome, MD
Talking to your daughter about her upcoming periods is the best tack to take to prepare her for ...
What is the function of bone marrow in children and teens?
It would be unwise to house all of our protector cells in one area, so the bone marrow throughout th...
As a Teen, Is It Normal to Have Vaginal Discharge?