What is the function of bone marrow in children and teens?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

It would be unwise to house all of our protector cells in one area, so the bone marrow throughout the body produces the young generations of immune cells that go to battle. In particular, it stores the B cells, which mass-produce antibodies—the small molecules that ram themselves into the side of bacteria and virus-infected cells.

YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...
The function of bone marrow in children and teens is to make important cells the body needs to survive, like the white blood cells, red blood cells and cells of the immune system.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Understanding Anatomy

How do my muscles work?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Muscles work by moving in harmony with one another. When one muscle gets a message to tighten, its o...
As a teen, how should I do a breast self-exam?
John G. West, MDJohn G. West, MD
It a great idea for teens to start doing breast self-exam (BSE). By starting at a young age you can ...
As a teen, how can birth control pills affect my period?
Nowadays, modern technology allows women to plan their periods; oncemenstruation has started and a g...
As a Teen, Is It Normal to Have Vaginal Discharge?