What is the function of bone marrow in children and teens?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

It would be unwise to house all of our protector cells in one area, so the bone marrow throughout the body produces the young generations of immune cells that go to battle. In particular, it stores the B cells, which mass-produce antibodies—the small molecules that ram themselves into the side of bacteria and virus-infected cells.

YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Understanding Anatomy

Why do I get swollen glands when I have a cold?
Swollen glands are actually lymph nodes, which are found in the neck, armpits, groin and other place...
What is the dermis layer of skin?
The dermis is the thickest layer of all, and it’s where the sensory fibers live. Those nerves ma...
As a teen, what can I do about bad menstrual cramps?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
The most effective way to get rid of bad menstrual cramps is to get more control over the menstrual ...
What makes me feel hungry?
When your stomach is empty, its inner lining releases this feisty little chemical called ghrelin. Wh...