Why do I get swollen glands when I have a cold?

Swollen glands are actually lymph nodes, which are found in the neck, armpits, groin and other places. They are part of the immune system, which fights viruses or bacteria when you get sick. It can take several weeks after a cold clears up for swollen glands to go back to their normal size. See your doctor if your glands remain swollen for longer than that.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Understanding Anatomy

What makes me feel hungry?
When your stomach is empty, its inner lining releases this feisty little chemical called ghrelin. Wh...
For a teen, what is testicular torsion?
Claire WelchClaire Welch
Testicular torsion is a medical emergency and requires quick medical care! Testicular torsion happen...
How much blood do I lose during my period as a teenager?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
The menstrual flow is actually a combination of blood and other secretions from the uterus, cervix a...
As a Teen, Is It Normal to Have Vaginal Discharge?