As a teen, what should I know about having a twisted testicle?

A twisted testicle, or testicular torsion, is a medical emergency. When the testicle twists, the spermatic cord is also twisted which cuts off, or greatly reduces, the blood supply to the testicle. When the blood supply to an area is cut off, or greatly reduced, tissue death can occur. If this type of injury occurs to you or a friend, have the area evaluated as soon as possible.

If you are participating in any type of contact sport, you should wear a strap with a protective cup and strap that will provide additional support and protection for the genitalia. While the use of such equipment will not guarantee total protection from injury, it will greatly reduce the risk of such an injury. 

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Understanding Anatomy

As a teen, what causes white spots on my nails?
These small, semicircular spots result from injury to the base (matrix) of the nail, where nail cel...
As a teen, at what age will I stop growing?
Ellen Rome, MDEllen Rome, MD
Bodies and minds often don't fully develop until one's early 20s. In this video, Drs. Roizen, Oz...
As a teen, what should I do about an ingrown toenail?
Improper nail trimming, tight shoes, or poor posture can cause a corner of the nail to curve down...
As a Teen, Is It Normal to Have Vaginal Discharge?