For a teen, what causes menstrual cramps?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
Menstrual cramps are caused by the contractions of the muscular walls of the uterus. These contractions are caused by chemicals called prostiglandins which, in turn develop under the influence of the hormones estrogen and progesterone. Teens frequently have varying levels of hormones from one cycle to another. This can cause sometimes more severe cramps from one cycle to another.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Understanding Anatomy

As a teen, when does menstruation start?
Claire WelchClaire Welch
For most pre-teen girls, this is a major source of mystery and concern. Yet, even though pre-teens a...
As a teen, what could cause blood in my urine?
The most common cause is a UTI, but other things can cause it too, like certain diseases or blee...
As a teen, what is the function of cilia in the lungs?
Your airways are lined with millions of tiny hairs called cilia. These act like little brooms that s...
How do my muscles work?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Muscles work by moving in harmony with one another. When one muscle gets a message to tighten, its o...