As a teen, what causes cramps during my period?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
Menstrual cramps are contractions of the muscular wall of the uterus. The cramps are caused by a group of chemicals called prostiglandins. The type and quantity of protiglandins are influenced by the female hormones, estrogen and progesterone. The hormones, in turn, are produced by the immature eggs in the ovaries, responding to chemicals from the brain.
Teens often have more menstrual cramps and stronger menstrual cramps than older women. This is because their hormone levels are still somewhat irratic. When a baby girl is born, she already has her full supply of immature eggs. They are healthy and ready to go. But, of course, her brain, is still very immature. The exact mechanism that starts the first menstrual period isn't yet understood, but the maturing of the brain gets the whole process going. Since the brain continues to mature, cycles become more regular, and cramps often decrease, as a woman moves through and beyond her teen years.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Understanding Anatomy

As a teen, can I donate blood?
Claire WelchClaire Welch
Over the past 20 years, I have had the pleasure of participating in blood drives at our high school....
How do vaccines work in teens?
Vaccines contain weakened, dead, or partial viruses or bacteria that stimulate your body to develop ...
As a teen, what should I know about having a twisted testicle?
Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
A twisted testicle, or testicular torsion, is a medical emergency. When the testicle twists, the spe...
As a Teen, Is It Normal to Have Vaginal Discharge?