How does my skin protect me?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Your skin protects you from physical and chemical assaults from the outside world. Two of the skin’s layers, the hypodermis and the dermis, absorb shock and help you keep from getting too cold. Your skin also has blood vessels that help oxygen and nutrition reach the upper layers of the skin, nerve endings that provide sensation, collagen, hyaluronic acid, and elastic tissue called elastin that give your skin resilience. Another more superficial layer of your skin, the epidermis, makes a pigment called melanin that gives your skin its color and tries to limit the damaging effects of the sun’s ultra violet rays. Finally, your skin is a barrier with its own personal  first-line immune defense that is designed to ward off bacterial, viral, fungal, and other infections that are a threat to your skin and your overall heath.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Understanding Anatomy

As a teen, what causes my urine to have a strong smell?
A strong smell (and bright yellow urine) usually means you are running dry, or need to be drinki...
For a teen, what causes baldness?
There’s an old myth that guys inherit baldness from their mother’s father--if he’s bald, you’re do...
What is the function of bone marrow in children and teens?
It would be unwise to house all of our protector cells in one area, so the bone marrow throughout th...
What are my joints made up of?
Here are the parts that make up your joints:Collagen: a type of tissue that serves as the scaffoldin...