How do the kidneys work in teens?

Kidneys are made of little units called nephrons. Each nephron functions separately as a minifiltration plant, filtering bad stuff or unneeded stuff from the blood. Drugs such as marijuana, cocaine, steroids, and narcotics (the frequently abused painkiller oxycodone, for instance, better known by its brand name, OxyContin) get filtered out here, which is why they’re detectible in a urine test. Water and good stuff like most amino acids and glucose get reabsorbed, and the bad stuff moves from the nephron into one of two collecting tubes called the ureters. You have one ureter attached to each kidney, and they both dump into the bladder, the storage tank for urine.    
YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Understanding Anatomy

As a teen, at what age will I stop growing?
Ellen Rome, MDEllen Rome, MD
Bodies and minds often don't fully develop until one's early 20s. In this video, Drs. Roizen, Oz...
As a teen, how should I do a breast self-exam?
John G. West, MDJohn G. West, MD
It a great idea for teens to start doing breast self-exam (BSE). By starting at a young age you can ...
As a teen, what do my kidneys do for my body?
Your kidneys keep your body’s salt levels in balance. They also play a role in regulating blood ...
As a Teen, Is It Normal to Have Vaginal Discharge?