How much blood do I lose during my period as a teenager?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
The menstrual flow is actually a combination of blood and other secretions from the uterus, cervix and vagina. The amount of flow that consists of blood is, on average, 30 cc or about a tablespoon for the whole menstrual period. The remaining volume is made up of the other secretions.
The amount of flow is a result of many things, including the levels of hormones that stimulate the growth of the uterine lining each month and the levels of chemicals called prostaglandins that turn the flow on and off. These hormone levels can be very different from one cycle to the next in a teen. That is why teens often have heavier flow than women in their twenties or thirties.
If your flow is so heavy that your menstrual protection, a pad or a tampon, is overflowing into your clothing within an hour, and this continues for more than one hour, you should immediately seek help from your health care provider.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Understanding Anatomy

As a teen, what can I do about bad menstrual cramps?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
The most effective way to get rid of bad menstrual cramps is to get more control over the menstrual ...
For a teen, what causes menstrual cramps?
Menstrual cramps are caused by the contractions of the muscular walls of the uterus. These contracti...
What may my child's doctor prescribe for precocious puberty?
Your child's pediatrician has various options in prescribing a medication for central precocious...
As a Teen, Is It Normal to Have Vaginal Discharge?