As a teen, what causes my urine to have a strong smell?

A strong smell (and bright yellow urine) usually means you are running dry, or need to be drinking more fluids. A fruity smell can be a sign of ketosis, which can happen in the context of diabetes, when the blood sugar level is too high and the extra sugar is dumped into the urine by the kidneys. If you have to urinate urgently, frequently, and a notice a funny smell, get your urine checked immediately.  
YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Understanding Anatomy

As a teen, why is my period late?
Ellen Rome, MDEllen Rome, MD
Late periods may be due to pregnancy. In this video, Dr. Oz and Dr. Rome discuss what else a lat...
What are the different parts of the nail?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Nails consist of the nail plate, which is the part you see; the cuticle, which is the tissue that co...
How much blood is in the human body?
Robert A. Wascher, MDRobert A. Wascher, MD
A typical adult has about 5 liters (just over 5 quarts) of blood circulating in their body. Robert ...
As a Teen, Is It Normal to Have Vaginal Discharge?