As a teen, what should I do about an ingrown toenail?

Improper nail trimming, tight shoes, or poor posture can cause a corner of the nail to curve downward into the skin. Ingrown nails can be painful and sometimes lead to infection. To avoid infection, see a podiatrist (a foot doctor) rather than attempting to saw away the nail yourself. Your doc will numb the toe and trim the ingrown nail.
YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Understanding Anatomy

As a teen, how should I do a breast self-exam?
John G. West, MDJohn G. West, MD
It a great idea for teens to start doing breast self-exam (BSE). By starting at a young age you can ...
How do nails grow?
Your nails grow from the area under your cuticle (called the matrix) the same way hair grows from fo...
Why is it important for adolescents to build bone mass?
It’s important to stockpile bone during adolescence because up to 90 percent of bone mass is acquire...
As a Teen, Is It Normal to Have Vaginal Discharge?