What are good ways to manage my stress as a teenager?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD

Teens are often under a lot of stress. It is estimated that as many as a third of teens in our country feel stressed out. There are many healthy ways to manage it.  Exercise is probably one of the best ways.  It helps to increase your endorphins (the feel good hormones) and it is good for overall health. 

One of the other great stress relievers is yoga.  Teens who do yoga regularly  are more relaxed and focused. It is a great thing to do while studying or before taking a test.  It can be as simple as doing breathing exercises and stretching. 

Another great stress reliever is massage.  It relieves tension, lowers stress hormones and improves concentration.  It is also great for teenage athletes who may be suffering from the aches and pains of sports.

Finally, laughing is a wonderful stress reliever.  A funny book, television show or a movie may be just the thing to get you going.  It will bring air to the lungs and get your muscles moving.  There is nothing like a good belly laugh to make you feel better.

If you feel like all of the above help to some degree but not enough, it may be time to talk to someone.  There are wonderful counselors that can help you manage your stress and all the feelings that go along with it.  This is a stressful time for teens but there are some great things out there to help you deal with it.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Stress and Depression

What are some unhelpful ways teens deal with stress?
Gina M. BiegelGina M. Biegel
Not all ways of coping with stress are helpful. Some people engage in unhelpful behaviors, perha...
As a teenager, what should I do when I'm really depressed?
Ellen Rome, MDEllen Rome, MD
Watch as Dr. Ellen Rome provides some strategies on what a teen can do if they are feeling very ...
As a Teen, How Do I Stop Cutting Myself?
Why Do Some Teens Cut Themselves?
Why Do Some Teens Cut Themselves?