What causes an eating disorder in a teen like me?

Vicki Berkus, MD
Psychiatry

I wish there was a simple answer because each person is different. I usually hear that the patient is feeling overwhelmed in various areas of their life. It may involve a change of life situation like going from Jr. high to high school or transitioning to college. There may be a family crisis like a divorce or a death. Change is also difficult so a move, having to make new friends, feeling different can cause behaviors to change. Some people are more sensitive to the problems listed above and feel the only way to deal with their feelings is to engage in restricting, binging or purging food. The best way to get answers is to contact a therapist or a psychiatrist who is familiar with eating disorders and get an assessment.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Stress and Depression

As a teen, how can I cope with the death of my parent?
Niamh van MeinesNiamh van Meines
It's often a very difficult time in their lives for teens to lose one of their parents. Teens should...
How can I help my teen friend with an eating disorder?
Vicki Berkus, MDVicki Berkus, MD
I would start by using "I" statements and just describe the behavior you are seeing. " When I see yo...
As a Teen, How Do I Stop Cutting Myself?
As a Teenager, What Should I Do When I'm Really Depressed?