As a teen, how can I cope with the death of my parent?

It's often a very difficult time in their lives for teens to lose one of their parents. Teens should know that they already have learned how to cope with difficult situations. The important thing to remember is that however people cope, the activity should be safe and offer benefit.

There are many ways to cope and the death of a parent. The most helpful is to talk to people, get support from important family members and friends, to arrange to spend time with them and do activities together. On a more formal basis, bereavement or grief counseling can be most helpful. This can be done on a one to one basis or with a group of people who are in a similar situation. In both cases, there are a number of benefits:

• One on one counselling creates a safe place for you to express your feelings privately and in the presence of a professional who is not familiar with your family and is there to support you.
  • Group counseling helps you to know that you are not alone and having a similar story as someone else can create a special bond, a meaningful support that can help.

Other therapies can be used in a therapeutic way by channeling the distress that is felt into writing, journaling, music, art, dance or doing a community based project. Teens should have options and pick the types of activities that they feel will help them.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Stress and Depression

What is a breathing exercise that helps with college-related stress?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
This deep breathing exercise with visualization can help you relax: Find a place where roommates,...
How can I control my anger as a teen?
Kevin Wilson, LPCKevin Wilson, LPC
To control anger as a teen, I’m really into mindfulness. I refer to this as the longest twelve inche...
As a Teenager, What Should I Do When I'm Really Depressed?
Why Do Some Teens Cut Themselves?
Why Do Some Teens Cut Themselves?