What can I do to relieve stress?

To relieve stress:

Stop and think. When you first notice stress symptoms, stop what you’re doing--or thinking--and take a few deep breaths. Then see what
you can do mentally or physically to alter your outlook or your body’s response.

Look at the bright side. Studies have shown that negative emotions put you at higher risk for heart disease. You may be able to undo the damage by fostering a more positive frame of mind. Look for the positive side of each situation, and put things in perspective. Give others—including yourself—the benefit of the doubt. Use humor when  appropriate to alleviate stressful situations.

Develop de-stressing habits. Get regular exercise, take time to relax, eat a healthy diet, and get enough sleep. These things aren’t always easy to do, but they are necessary to help strengthen your mind and body to face life’s stressors. Reassess how you’re doing in these categories everyday, and make a plan for how to improve.

No matter how stressed you feel, you always have the power to feel calmer and more relaxed, says mind-body medicine expert and Dr. Oz Show guest Dr. Deepak Chopra. In this video, he explains a few of his favorite techniques that you can use any time, anywhere to feel better -- no drugs required.

Elissa Epel, PhD, MS
Integrative Medicine

Stress can wreak havoc on your health. Developing stress relief and prevention strategies can help, says Elissa Epel, PhD, associate professor of Psychiatry at the University of California, San Francisco. In this video, she shares tips. strategies, Elissa Epel, help, toxic, psychology, tips, stress relief, stress management, WisePatient, stress response

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Stress and Depression

What are signs of an eating disorder in a teen like me?
Vicki Berkus, MDVicki Berkus, MD
The signs of an eating disorder include a change in behavior around food. The patient may avoid eati...
As a teen, how can I cope with the death of my parent?
Niamh van MeinesNiamh van Meines
It's often a very difficult time in their lives for teens to lose one of their parents. Teens should...
As a Teenager, What Should I Do When I'm Really Depressed?
As a Teen, How Do I Stop Cutting Myself?