How can I help my teen friend with an eating disorder?

Vicki Berkus, MD
Psychiatry
I would start by using "I" statements and just describe the behavior you are seeing. " When I see your weight going down, or when you isolate from me, I feel ____________." If your friend is open to talking about it, then offer to help her get help either from a counselor at school or her parents. If she is not willing to get help and you are afraid that she will continue to starve or hurt herself, I would encourage you to go to her parents for help. She may be angry but realize that she may not be able to make good decisions for herself if she is "starving" her brain.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Stress and Depression

Why do I get sick from college-related stress?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
In order to cope with increased stress, your body will shut off those functions that are not com...
What help is there for teenagers like me who were sexually abused as a kid?
Raychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPCRaychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPC
First of all you are not alone. There are people who want to help you, reach out to them. Counseling...
Why Do Some Teens Cut Themselves?
Why Do Some Teens Cut Themselves?
As a Teenager, What Should I Do When I'm Really Depressed?