What is self efficacy and why is it important?

Kelly Traver

"I can do it." This statement sounds so simple, yet it can be quite powerful if you really believe it. Brain is greatly influenced by whether you believe you can do something. In fact, your confidence in your ability to perform a task is often as important as the actual skill for doing it. Certainly you need the skill, but you also need to believe that you can make it happen. This concept is called self-efficacy. Self-efficacy is different from self-esteem, which refers to your feeling of self-worth. Self-efficacy refers to your belief in your ability to do something. Albert Bandura of Stanford University first introduced this theory of self-efficacy in 1977 in a seminal article entitled "Self-efficacy: Toward a Unifying Theory of Behavioral Change."

Simply believing in your ability to perform a task is often as important as having the actual skill for doing it.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Self-Esteem Building

What is self talk?
Dr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhDDr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhD
Self-talk is our internal dialog; the words we say to ourselves. It comes in negative, positive and ...
How does social pressure affect the self image of teen girls?
Dr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyDDr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyD
Nobody’s perfect, but media aimed at teen girls often makes them think they should be. In this v...
As a teen, how can I better take a compliment?
Learn to take a compliment. Don’t be Teflon and bounce it back off you. Let it stick, by saying a si...
As a teen, how can my body image affect my health?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
A teenager's body image -- your perception of your own body and the way that you convey this vis...