What is self-acceptance?

This concept differs from self-esteem, which measures how worthy we see ourselves. Self-acceptance recognizes you're a complex person who is OK as you are, with weaknesses and flaws, and that you're doing the best you can. It's often a challenge, because we tend to be self-critical. Practice self-acceptance by being compassionate toward yourself and living in the present, not the future or the past.

Katherine Lee
Social Work
Self-acceptance means that you accept yourself as who you are. It means that in spite of all the shortcomings, you are happy and content with yourself and can love yourself for the person you are today. This doesn’t mean, however, that you don’t do anything in life to improve or change yourself. On the contrary, it means that you are not afraid to look at and fully acknowledge your own behaviors, good and bad. You don’t compare yourself to others, but simply look at what you are capable of accomplishing in your life and strive to be the best!
It's an unconditional love for self, while remaining insightful about your own vulnerabilities. None of us are perfect, but all of us are valuable and important. Self-acceptance means taking oneself at face value each day - recognizing the need for daily healthy practices, growth through learning, experience, and engagement in the world, and enjoyment of work, love, and life. It is about living in the present day and not some day down the road after some goal is achieved (e.g. I will start living my life after I lose 50 pounds). By finding value in yourself today, you are bound to take better care of yourself, and then have better luck at achieving and maintaining ANY goals you pursue.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Self-Esteem Building

What's the difference between self esteem and self confidence?
Armin BrottArmin Brott
Self-esteem is somewhat passive and has to do with how we see ourselves—what (or whom) we see when w...
What is self talk?
Self talk is all the good and bad things we say to ourselves.
As a teen, how can my body image affect my health?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
A teenager's body image -- your perception of your own body and the way that you convey this vis...
What are some causes for self-hatred?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Feelings of self-loathing and despair often can be caused by mental illness and by environmental fac...