As a teen, how can I better take a compliment?

Learn to take a compliment. Don’t be Teflon and bounce it back off you. Let it stick, by saying a simple “Thanks!” when someone gives you one. You don’t need to compliment them back, or anything else. Practice just the words “Thank you.” Your self-esteem will rise when you learn to let these unsolicited compliments stick.

YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Self-Esteem Building

How can my self-image influence how I view others’ actions?
Jacob TeitelbaumJacob Teitelbaum
If you feel inadequate and insecure, you will likely interpret things that people say as supporting ...
What is self-acceptance?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
This concept differs from self-esteem, which measures how worthy we see ourselves. Self-acceptance r...
What are the different kinds of self talk?
Self talk consists of positive, negative and neutral talk. Positive talk is all the positive thi...
What is self talk?
Self talk is all the good and bad things we say to ourselves.