What's the difference between self esteem and self confidence?

Armin Brott
Pediatrics
Self-esteem is somewhat passive and has to do with how we see ourselves—what (or whom) we see when we look in the mirror. Healthy self-esteem is also crucial in developing positive attitudes and actions toward others. You’re much more likely to treat someone else with empathy and respect if you have a positive view of yourself.  

Self-confidence is more active, and describes our willingness and ability to interact with the world around us.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Self-Esteem Building

As a teen, how can I avoid negative self-judgment?
Gina M. BiegelGina M. Biegel
“I am ugly.” “I am fat.” “I am stupid.” “I’ll never make the team.” Do you find yourself having ...
What are some causes for self-hatred?
James SmithJames Smith
One cause of self-hatred is believing what the incessant negative thoughts in our head are telling u...
As a teen, how can my body image affect my health?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
A teenager's body image -- your perception of your own body and the way that you convey this vis...
What are the different kinds of self talk?
Self talk consists of positive, negative and neutral talk. Positive talk is all the positive thi...