As a teen, how can my body image affect my health?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
A teenager's body image -- your perception of your own body and the way that you convey this vision to yourself and others -- can have a huge impact on both your physical and emotional health. The inability to perceive your body in a good light can lead to lowered self-esteem and depression. People with extremely poor body images are considered to be at risk for several types of eating disorders, the most common being anorexia nervosa and bulimia.
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Self-Esteem Building

What are the different kinds of self talk?
Self talk consists of positive, negative and neutral talk. Positive talk is all the positive thi...
What is self talk?
Dr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhDDr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhD
Self-talk is our internal dialog; the words we say to ourselves. It comes in negative, positive and ...
What is self efficacy and why is it important?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
"I can do it." This statement sounds so simple, yet it can be quite powerful if you really believe i...
Does ADHD affect teenagers' self-esteem?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
Many teens with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) also struggle with low self-esteem. ...