As a teen, how can I avoid negative self-judgment?

Gina M. Biegel
“I am ugly.” “I am fat.” “I am stupid.” “I’ll never make the team.” Do you find yourself having thoughts like these? Do you often blame yourself or find yourself unhappy with what is and wanting things to be different? Do you use words like, “I should have” or “I could have”? If your answer to any of these questions is yes, you are listening to an inner voice of negative self-judgment.

Judgment involves assigning some value to situations, defining them as good or bad, right or wrong. You can free yourself from a lot of added stress by learning to let go of your negative inner voice and to accept what is, simply because it is, without judging yourself.
The Stress Reduction Workbook for Teens: Mindfulness Skills to Help You Deal with Stress (Instant Help Solutions)

First, the bad news: your teenage years are some of the most stressful of your life. Up to 70 percent of teens say they're stressed out, and with pressure about grades at school, parents who just...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Self-Esteem Building

How can my self-image influence how I view others’ actions?
Dr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhDDr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhD
Your self image is all you know. Your self image is a blueprint of who you perceive youself to be. F...
How does self-esteem affect a teen's social development?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Learning disabilities can lower self-esteem. As you'll see in the video, teens can build self-estee...
What's the difference between self esteem and self confidence?
Armin BrottArmin Brott
Self-esteem is somewhat passive and has to do with how we see ourselves—what (or whom) we see when w...
What are the different kinds of self talk?
Self talk consists of positive, negative and neutral talk. Positive talk is all the positive thi...