What can I do to relieve breast pain before my period?

Breast pain is common before periods, and even earlier in the cycle when the ovaries produce estrogen. This causes the breasts to swell, which can indeed hurt. Support bras or sports bras can make a big difference, as can regular exercise. You can try avoiding salt (that includes diet foods and diet pop, which usually contain high salt loads), caffeine, and chocolate, all of which can cause temporary breast swelling. Drinking a natural diuretic such as cranberry juice may help, but don’t use diuretic pills, as they can affect your electrolyte levels and cause bigger problems.

Other remedies for breast pain with periods include hot showers or warm baths, relaxation and breathing exercises, 400 milligrams of ibuprofen up to four times a day, and even cabbage leaves placed over the area. (They’re said to draw out the pain.)

YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective on Health

Prediabetes: The Silent Danger Facing U.S. Teens
A startling one in five U.S. teenagers was found to have prediabetes in a study published in JAMA. Prediabetes is a condition in which your blood glu...
Are steroids really as dangerous as people say they are?
Many well publicized cases have brought steroid usage to the public eye so it is well known that s...
What should I know before I get a tattoo?
If you’re going to get one, you need to think carefully about where you have it put, and who you...
How Do I Make Sure My Child Doesn't Become Overweight?