How can eating a healthy lunch help improve my grades?

Deborah Beauvais

A well-nourished child is a child ready to learn. Kids that are fit are more likely to have the energy, stamina and self-esteem that enhance their ability to learn. 

Healthful eating, both Breakfast and Lunch; along with regular physical activity, helps kids get and stay fit. Severe nutrient deficiencies are linked to many issues: improper growth, mental development and very low energy levels. These things will have an impact on a child's ability to learn. 

For example, iron deficiency among children leads to poor behavior, difficulty concentrating, and poor performance. Choose lunch meal options that include a variety of foods from all the food groups. Lean meats and low-fat dairy for protein, whole wheat or whole grain servings of breads and grain for energy from carbohydrates and a variety of fruits and vegetables, preferably fresh, to round out the meal. Eating from a variety of foods gives one a full complement of the essential vitamins, minerals and nutrients essential for growth and development. 

As a Registered Dietitian, I must emphasize that a child will do his/her best in school if three regular meals are consumed daily along with healthy snacks. You just cannot teach a hungry child.

Jim White

Eating a healthy lunch is extremely important for the overall health of a child and also for their performance in school. Studies have shown that healthy eating is directly related to better performance on standardized tests. 

If a child is eating food that is full of sugar, they are going to experience extreme highs and lows in their energy level, making it very difficult for them to concentrate.  Meals that consist of whole grains, fresh fruit and vegetables, as well as protein will help a child receive the nutrients they need for their day ahead.  

Vandana  R. Sheth
Enjoying regular meals and snacks will allow your body to function at its best.  You will do better at school if you enjoy a healthy lunch that includes lean protein, whole grains, fruits, vegetables.  Your body will have the energy it needs to maintain a good blood sugar level and allow you to focus.  A simple healthy lunch option could be a sandwich made with whole grain bread, mustard, lettuce, tomato, turkey/chicken, a small apple, nonfat milk or water to complete the meal.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective on Health

Prediabetes: The Silent Danger Facing U.S. Teens
A startling one in five U.S. teenagers was found to have prediabetes in a study published in JAMA. Prediabetes is a condition in which your blood glu...
What should I know before I get a tattoo?
If you’re going to get one, you need to think carefully about where you have it put, and who you...
What role do oral steroids play in treating acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Corticosteroids, such as oral prednisone, are the gold standard for anti-inflammatory medication...
How Do I Make Sure My Child Doesn't Become Overweight?