Why do I need a vitamin B supplement as a teen?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
The Second National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) revealed that 90 percent of women get less than the Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) for vitamin B6, a type of B vitamin that is essential for the synthesis of serotonin and norepinephrine, two neurotransmitters that are crucial for signaling happy thoughts and emotions in your brain. People who are deficient in this form of B vitamin can experience symptoms such as skin inflammation, depression, confusion, weakness, numbness, and tingling. Basically, think of B vitamins as your energy and mood boosters, and make sure you get plenty!
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Nutrition and Healthy Eating

What snacks should I eat if I'm overweight as a teen?
Jessica CrandallJessica Crandall
There are plenty of healthy snack options for a teen who is overweight. Eating 3 small meals a day a...
Can I take vitamin supplements instead of eating healthy at college?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
Unfortunately, a supplement isn't going to correct an unhealthy diet, nor provide energy for your b...
As a Teen, Should I Drink Energy Drinks?
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium