Why should I eat bread before meals as a teen?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
You may have thought you were doing yourself a service by asking the waiter to take away the basket of steaming, fresh-from-the-oven bread before it even touched the table. But studies prove that if you indulge in a small piece of whole wheat or whole grain bread dipped in some good fat (such as olive oil), rather than slathered with butter, before the meal you are less likely to overeat and will consume fewer total calories than if you had not eaten the bread. This is because it takes some time for your body to realize that you are eating and it is becoming full, so the more spaced out you can make your meal (e.g., having a piece of bread twenty minutes before your meal arrives, or even eating a piece of fruit on your way to the restaurant), the more likely your body is to recognize that it is becoming full and keep you from overeating. So, stop denying yourself that unsinful pleasure and have a piece.
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Nutrition and Healthy Eating

How can I eat fewer calories at fast food restaurants if I'm a teen?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
If you must eat at a fast food restaurant, go for a salad. If you can't get a salad (or don't wa...
What is the cinnamon challenge?
Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPHDr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
There is a YouTube phenomenon among kids called the "cinnamon challenge.” It is a widely replica...
As a Teen, Should I Drink Energy Drinks?
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium